Caterwauling Street Folk from the depths of Seattle!
The Mongrel Jews are a Seattle street folk band that has been gracing the city’s stages, street corners and living rooms since 2010. Mixing the down-home Americana of Old Crow Medicine Show with the raucous energy of the Violent Femmes, the acoustic trio puts on a a theatrical performance full of caterwauling shout-alongs and dancing ballads.
The band was founded by washboard player Sarah Shay, who brought aboard her banjo-touting brother Aaron, and the wailing harmonica of Annie Hughes. They have shared stages with such acts as Jason Webley, The Doubleclicks, Renee de la Prade, God’s Favorite Beefcake, and a burlesque dancer in a banana costume.
"They eat a stage."
- El Tigre (Steel Tigers of Death, Mustard Pack Records)
"The Mongrel Jews‘ songs make you want to move, but not in a ‘hit the dancefloor’ sort of way; more of a ‘sway in your seat and swing a mug of beer back and forth while singing along’ kind of way. Theirs is the siren song that convinces you to ditch everything and run away with the circus."
- Molly Lewis, singer/songwriter and YouTube celebrity
"You are so much fun to watch, I'd go to your shows even if I was deaf!"
-Rob Gardiner, local ice creamiere
"I was completely enchanted...It’s almost like they channel the spirit of Joey Ramone if he lived in the 1930s."
-Sylvie Janacek, Seattle Bicycle Music Project
"You guys get better every time I see you."
- Tata Hari, burlesque beauty
Tonight, the Wheel of Tease will spin, and we will play what song it commands! Come to Re-Bar and see.
Some people think little girls should be seen and not heard, but the Mongrel Jews think you should donate to fund this documentary about the life of Poly Styrene! Only eight hours left, get on it!
EDIT: They extended the campaign for another month, so you have plenty of time to donate!
indiegogo.com A feature documentary about the life of X-Ray Spex singer-songwriter and punk icon Poly Styrene. | Crowdfunding is a democratic way to support the fundraising needs of your community. Make a contribution today!
Highlight of today's rehearsal: Mongrel Annie singing "Dancing On My Own" to their cat, then cracking up for several minutes.
My band is so sexy! We need more photos!
Friends! This Thursday night, come and celebrate the season at The 5th Annual Bubbe's Old-Fashioned Hanukkah Shindig! You'll also see the likes of The Debaucherauntes, The m9 and Canada's finest punk accordionist, Geoff Berner!
Tractor Tavern, 21+, 7PM doors. Don't miss it! Link in comments.
Very exciting news, y'all. We're going to be playing not one, but TWO festivals this summer!
1) Jason Webley is founding a new festival called ONCE, taking place June 10th-12th on Camano Island. And we're gonna be performing there, too! Alongside such local/coastal luminaries as Oddjob Ensemble, The Debaucherauntes, Amy Denio Music, Pepper Proud, Mtns. & Tunnels, and more! TICKETS ARE ONLY $11. For more information, click here: http://hereatonce.com/
2) At Oregon Country Fair, keep your eyes out for us busking on the paths (and maybe on a stage or two)! This is our first year at Fair and we cannot contain how excited we are to participate. For more information about OCF, click here: oregoncountryfair.org
This is gonna be a good summer. See you all around!
The 15th day of Nisan, 1st night of Pesach, marks the 1st time we recorded as a band in 2010. Come celebrate tonight at Lucky Liquor in Georgetown/Tukwila!